Oakham’s annual Careers Week has gone online this year with pupils able to view a series of online videos made by industry experts designed to provide them with an insight into different careers and some top tips for their future job applications.
Speakers include a range of alumni, current staff, work experience providers and contacts from industry with talks ranging from careers in engineering, fashion, media and finance to guidance on how to write the perfect CV and shine in a job interview.
“We have tried to turn the challenge of lockdown into an advantage by offering more talks than ever before this year by virtue of them being available online. The theme this year is for pupils to ‘Be curious’ and we hope that this range of talks will spark their interest to discover a career path they may never before have considered.” says Helen Elliot, Careers Administrator. “By having a week dedicated to careers and further education, our Middle and Upper School pupils have a chance to immerse themselves fully in thinking about their future – be it career options, university choices, apprenticeship availability, or workplace skills.”
Here is a glimpse at the packed programme of talks available for pupils to view:
- OO Ellen Manning gives an insight into a career in public relations and broadcasting.
- OO Paul Joseph has experienced life as both a barrister and a solicitor. Here he explains the difference between these two legal careers.
- OO Charlie Reading talks about a career in financial planning and the importance of people skills in this interesting career.
- Will Jeanes, sports journalist, recounts how he turned a passion into a career.
- Zoe Souter from Conde Nast College of Fashion and Design highlights the wide range of careers available in the fashion industry.
- Nathan Boshoff from the School’s Computer Science Department explains the range of job roles open to students interested in a career involving Computer Science.
- Dr Andrew Nicoll from the School’s Biology Department discusses the wide range of roles available in health care, including some professions Oakhamians have gone into which you may not have even thought of.
- Mark Harrison outlines the opportunities available in the Army.
- George Elliot describes his route to qualifying as a Chartered Accountant.
- Genine Ziegler from Ridge & Partners LLP talks about becoming an Architect.
- A presentation from Swiss Hospitality Schools on potential opportunities in the luxury goods and experiences market.
- Jenny Savory from Amazing Apprenticeships talks about the opportunities available at Higher and Degree level for this increasingly popular alternative to going to university
- Caitlin Brennan from InvestIN explains what employers are looking for and how to use this time to make sure you are top of the list.
- OO Tim Vincent, author of Nail that Interview, gives his top tips for interviews.
- Caroline Atkinson from the School Careers Department provides her top tips on how to prepare the perfect CV.
- Helen Elliot from the School Careers Department offers an invaluable guide to writing a good professional email.
Pupils can access all the talks by logging on to myschoolportal and selecting Careers Week 2021.
For more information about careers, pupils can visit National Careers Week, which offers many more online activities, including a virtual careers fair.
Below OO Tim Vincent shares a couple of top tips for interviews.