In this section

Visa Information

If a student is a resident of a non-European Economic Area country and they do not hold a British passport then they need a visa to study in the United Kingdom.

The system is called the Tier 4 (student) points-based system, and it relies on the student’s family proving that they have a valid reason for their child to come to the UK to study, and that they can maintain the child financially for the duration of their stay.

It is important that each family refers to the Home Office website for up-to-date guidelines and official advice for your particular visa situation and which supporting documents you will need.

Oakham School is licensed to sponsor students who have been offered places and who wish to apply under Tier 4. As a student’s Tier 4 sponsor, once we have made an official offer of a place we will assign the student a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) reference number. Each CAS has a unique reference number and contains information about the course of study for which it has been issued and the student’s personal details.

A student cannot make their Tier 4 application more than three months before the start of their course. The CAS will expire if it is not used for a leave application within six months of it being issued.

In April 2015, the government introduced a mandatory charge to be paid by non-EEA nationals who apply to come to the UK to contribute to the National Health Service (NHS). The information from the Home Office can be found here. Additionally there is a factsheet and question and answer page supplied by the Home Office.


Biometrical Residence Permits (BRPs)

Oakham School now has an Alternative Collection Location Code (ACL), which means that the BRP can be sent direct to the School for collection on your arrival when term commences if you have used this code on your visa application form.

Please contact Admissions for this code prior to completing your visa application documentation.