Oakham School Poetry Competition
Enter The Oakham Poetry Competition
The Oakham Poetry Competition is now open for entries on the theme of ‘New Beginnings’.
The competition will close at noon, Friday 26th March 2021.
About the Competition
The Oakham School Poetry Competition is open to students between the ages of 11 and 18 years of age.
The competition is judged by two judges, Mrs Helen Jones, the Head of English at Oakham School, and Dr Michael Cade-Stewart, a poet, scholar, former British Academy Postdoctoral Fellow and Oakham English Teacher. The theme is chosen with the intention of giving entrants free rein to interpret it as widely as they like.
There are two categories: 11-13 years old and 14-18 years old.
The winning entries will be announced on Thursday 22nd April 2021.
The competition is free to enter, and offers a top prize of £50 for each category and a second prize of £25 for each category, as well as additional prizes for commended poems.
· Poems should be submitted as a Microsoft Word or PDF document to: firstname.lastname@example.org
· The following details need to be included in the e-mail:
o Pupil first and second name
o Age and Date of Birth
o School name
o Year group
o A teacher, parent or responsible adult’s name and e-mail address
o The poem’s title
Terms and Conditions:
· Entries for the competition must be on the designated theme.
· Entries must be written in English, and be no more than 48 lines in length.
· Entrants must be at least 11 years of age, and under 18 years of age, on Friday 26th March 2021.
· Each entrant may submit only one poem.
· The closing date for entries is noon, Friday 26th March 2021.
· The copyright of each poem remains with the author. Authors of the winning poems will grant Oakham permission to publish or broadcast the poems.