Oakham School Results
Updated 09 September 2018
A-level and Pre-U highlights:
- 46% of all exams awarded A* or A or equivalent
- 37 students achieved straight A* or A grades (or equivalent)
- 13% of all grades were A*
- 99% pass rate
- Average point score of 35, compared with the worldwide average of 30.2.
- Over a quarter of IB Diploma students gained 38 or more points (equivalent to 2 A* and A at A-level).
- Three students achieved 44, out of a maximum of 45 points, a feat accomplished by around 1% of students worldwide.
- Of all the new graded (9-1) GCSE examinations taken this year at Oakham, over a quarter were awarded the new, harder to attain, grade 9, compared to around 4% nationally.
- 61% of all GCSE exams taken were awarded A*-A grades (or equivalent).
- A fifth of students, 31 in total, achieved straight A*-A grades (or the equivalent 9-7).
Another excellent year for exam results!
Oakham School is celebrating another excellent year of exam results, with 37 students achieving straight A* or A grades (or equivalent), for the second year running, in their A-levels, BTEC, the IB Diploma and Pre-U examinations!
“We are immensely proud of all of our students, not just those who have achieved the top grades,” says Headmaster Nigel Lashbrook. “Oakhamians are so much more than their examination results. This leaving year group has learnt so much during their school journey which can never be measured by exam results and will enable them to forge exciting pathways in the coming years.”
Overall, 45% of all exams taken by our Form 7 (Year 13) - in their A-levels or Pre-U, BTEC, and the IB Diploma - were awarded A* or A grades or equivalent. Impressively, Oakham’s first cohort of students to take the BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Sport & Exercise Science achieved either straight Distinction* or Distinction grades, or a combination of both, which is the equivalent of A* or A grades at A-level.
“This is an exceptional inaugural year for our BTEC results,” continued Mr Lashbrook. “We introduced BTECs to expand the suite of qualifications that our students can study. We are already renowned for academic excellence in both the IB Diploma and A-levels – these BTEC results further showcase the successful breadth of curriculum opportunities on offer here at Oakham.”
“This demanding course, which is equivalent to two A-levels, offers students the opportunity to explore both the practical and theoretical aspects of Sport Science,” continues Simone Lorenz-Weir, Head of Upper School at Oakham. “We have also introduced a BTEC in Business – meaning that students can choose to study this subject, as well as Sport Science, at A-level, as part of the IB Diploma or as a BTEC.”
The diversity of Oakham’s results is reflected in the wide range of university destinations and course choices Oakhamians will be taking up. As well as seven students securing their Oxbridge places, pupils are joining universities across the UK (including Bristol, Cardiff, Durham, Edinburgh, Exeter, Goldsmiths, King’s College London, Leeds, LSE, Reading, St Andrews, UCL and York) and overseas (in the USA, Germany, Holland, Switzerland and Italy). They will be studying subjects ranging from Classics to Veterinary Medicine, and from Computer Science to Aeronautics.