MUSIC AT OAKHAM
Music is an essential, much loved part of Oakham School life. Our vibrant Music Department has a national reputation for excellence and we are particularly proud of our choral and instrumental tradition. Our Chamber Choir became MACC Youth Choir Champions 2011 and were finalists in the 2012 BBC Songs of Praise School Choir of the Year Competition.
- We nurture the ability of any pupil interested in music
- Around half the school takes part in musical ensembles - choirs, bands, orchestras - and musical theatre
- Our pupils regularly participate in national youth music organisations
- Pupils regularly go on to study music beyond Oakham at prestigious music colleges and universities
The quality of our music teaching is paramount and at the heart of all we do at Oakham.
Performance opportunities for all
Public performance is fundamental to music at Oakham. It builds vital personal confidence and provides goals to work towards.
- Our pupils take part in over 80 concerts each year in Rutland and venues around the UK
- We host professional concerts and take pupils to concerts locally
- We produce recordings, tour abroad biennially and participate in major national competitions
- Our annual English Song Competition and Piano Duet Competition are eagerly anticipated
Talented musicians can audition for music scholarships and exhibitions at 11+, 13+ and 16+ entrance levels.